Saturday, October 23, 2010

Emotional eating

Emotional eating has attributed for the majority of my weight gain.  I need to face this enemy head on if I am going to conquer the weight once and for all.  This weekend as I am working through some tragic news, have a dreaded meeting at my daughter's school on Monday and my monthly friend is lurking, due to arrive momentarily, this enemy seems to be hot on my trail, wanting to take me down with each opening of the cupboards or fridge.  Here is my plan of attack:

Keep fresh veggies cut up on the counter for a quick snack (I know I am going to put something in my mouth to try to seek comfort so it might as well be beneficial to my health.  I am also one to go for the quickest thing to grab and stuff into my mouth when and emotional hunger hits.)

Make reasonable substitutes for my comfort foods.  If I completely deny myself during emotional times when I feel the need to eat something sweet and creamy or crunchy and salty then I will inevitable end up binging.  If I can find a substitute that will satisfy with out adding endless calories then I will not sabotage my weight loss goals.  I need to learn lifelong ways to cope and lets face it since food has always been my go to way to get through emotional times, it's not going to just change over night. 

Here are some examples of making substitutions with my favorite comfort foods and their substitute:
 Ice cream (I absolutely love the stuff) I substitute the regular fat laden stuff with a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich (these are delicious and low calorie, high fiber, low fat and pre-portioned)
Fru-fru coffee drinks (I adore coffee and a warm caramel machiatto, some days can be the best comfort food for me.  These pack a ton of calories though)  My substitute is a skinny caramel latte (skim milk and sugar free caramel syrup take the fat and calories down to reasonable treat.)
Cheetos or Sour Cream and Cheddar Ruffles (these take care of that salty crunchy craving oh so well)  I substitute with the baked ones and whenever possible buy them in the snack size bags so that they are pre-portioned to keep me from overindulging.
Triskets and Nutella (the BEST way to treat a craving for something sweet and salty) I don't have a substitute for this but try to measure out a certain amount and make sure to exercise to make up for it
Chocolate- I do best when I substitute dark for milk chocolate because I get more satisfaction from the dark rich flavor and don't end up eating as much.  There are less carbs in dark chocolate and it contains flavonoids which are great antioxidants. 

Plan out meals so that again, I don't just grab the quickest thing that might not be good for me


Make a trip to the exercise tramp (or if it's feasible go for a walk) before hitting the kitchen and then after five minutes of jumping, let myself have whatever I still might be craving.

Drink water before eating because I tend to feel like I "need" something and assume that it's food when really I just need water. 


If any of you battle emotional eating as well, I'd love to hear any tips you may have.

3 comments:

  1. These are very practical tips....if I can ever get up the guts to be honest on my blog, I'll have to face this beast.

    I didn't realize how much I relied on food in emotional situations until a few months ago....but, looking back, I can see a pattern that I just haven't been able to break.

    Thanks for walking beside me here. This is a really tough one for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah...Triscuits and Nutella??? REalLY? I have never even thought to put the two together. Sounds yummy...oh wait, our point is to avoid those lol.

    I am a huge night time snacker...not necessarily emotional eating, but time of day problem. I love, love, love "Soy Crisps" Low fat, low cal...and fiber girl! I am also a BIG fan of frozen grapes.

    I hope you make it through all that you have going on with minimal impact on your weight loss goals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a HUGE emotional eater too. Food ALWAYS fixes everything...well not anymore. It's got me hooked! I am trying to be more honest about it with myself and on my blog! I appreciate your courage!

    ReplyDelete