Friday, November 12, 2010

Friday- Food day

With the holiday yesterday, I almost forgot that it was Friday.  Today I want to talk about breakfast.  It is said to be the most important meal of the day but my whole life I have had to choke down breakfast.  I am not hungry or feel like eating in the morning period.  It's about the only time of day I don't feel like eating so I took advantage of it and was never a breakfast eater.  Give me a couple of cups of coffee and I'm good to go.  That was until I got pregnant with my youngest and was diagnosed with gestational diabetes.  I had to eat in the morning for my health and the health of the baby.  My body could not tolerate carbs in the morning with out my blood sugar spiking to the moon and I need something that is right there and quick.  I am not a morning person and the last thing I want to do is try to figure out what to eat for breakfast.  I need to be able to grab and go because I am also a busy mom who already struggles to get out the door on time.  (I do feed my children breakfast and have since they were able to eat food) That is when I came up with this:

I'm not sure what to call it a crustless quiche I guess and to make it you take:
1 doz eggs
1pound of turkey sausage (I love honeysuckel white breakfast sausage)
a pkg of mushrooms sauteed
whatever other veggies you have on hand (spinach, broccoli and asparagus are my faves)

Cook the sausage, crack the eggs and mix them up real good put all ingredients in a pan and cook in a 350 degree oven for 40 min or so (I honestly never time it I just go by my instinct and nose-I use my smeller a lot to tell if food is done) I then cut it in to squares and put in fridge.  If you have a good no stick muffin tin you can easily portion this by cooking it in the tin just make sure you use cooking spray or it sticks really bad.  These can be frozen and reheated to.  (the "muffins" work best for that)  You can add cheese which I did when I was pregnant but now that I am watching calories I don't add milk or cheese to the mixture. 

Two years later this is still my daily breakfast.  I make a batch once a week or so. 

 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy. I am a HUGE VEGGIE-Omlette person in the am. Lots of veggies, little bit of egg, and a couple of pinches of FETA!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I too need a quick, easy-to-grab breakfast. Every now and then, I'll make a quiche or a frittata for the family for dinner or brunch. I never thought to make one for me and then portion it for weekday breakfasts. Such a good idea! I might just make one this weekend.

    Keep up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete